This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

Last year's mistake, more like you're next read!

August 24, 2016


Title: Last Year's Mistake
Author: Gina Ciocca
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release date: June 9th 2015
Rating

With packing and getting ready to move, I haven't been doing much reading and thus, I went back to see if there was a book I could review. Turns out I read Last Year's Mistake a few months back and never talked about it, so... Let's talk about it!

This book is a great contemporary read. It's cute, it had an entertaining plot, it has just enough cheesiness to make us reader melt a little, and it can be read at anytime of the year. You might be rising an eyebrow at that last one, but am I the only one who feels like some books have seasons? Some books have more of a summer vibe, or a winter vibe to them, but not this one!

Moving on from the season thing, I thought the characters were very well developed. Compared to a book I just read, I appreciated the characters in Last Year's Mistake. David? Loved him. Candy? Loved her! 
As for Kelsey, I enjoyed following her story; I could relate to it and I found myself cheering her on, wishing for her to get her happy ending. 

If you've been reading my reviews for a while, you probably know that the way a book makes me feel is what's important to me and I don't talk about the writing style of an author or anything like that unless it's good enough for me to realize it. In Last Year's Mistake, what surprised me was the dialogue. 
When reading a book, it's nice to read good conversations between characters. Nothing too fancy that would seem unnatural, but not too boring either. In this book, the dialogues were gold! It made me feel things, it made me laugh once or twice... It kept me reading, that's what it did!

While I might not focus my attention on the technical stuff, I do acknowledge the little things. Character's are often involved in something: sport, art, etc. Last Year's Mistake was interesting because it portrayed characters playing baseball. Soccer I've seen. Basketball and football too, countless time. But baseball? It was a nice change that made me appreciate the book a little more.

The one thing that I disliked about this book was that it had too much "I-love-you-I-hate-you". While I understand it was an important element to the story, it could have been a bit less dramatic.

Last Year's Mistake is a fun and enjoyable read and I say: read it so you can make up your own opinion regarding the story. I loved it while some hate it. Give it a try and see for yourself!

Sophie


These characters will make you cheer for them, care for them... They'll find their way to your heart and make you feel all kind of things!