This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

Black Ice by Becca fitzpatrick review

July 15, 2015


This book… I hated it.
There, I said it. And the thing is: I really wanted to love it, but instead I had to refrain myself from throwing this book across the room, through a window and into the ocean (even though 
I don't live remotely close to the ocean).

My face while reading this book





















My previous experience with Becca Fitzpatrick was great. I enjoyed the Hush Hush series very much and I'm still hoping for some kind of adaption. But Black Ice?


I don't kow what happened!
Ok, let's go over everything:

The characters were dumb and not plausible at all. Britt and her friend CLEARLY miss the day when common sense was explained...   

  • Britt: I did not like her at all.
    You know, now that I think about it, we don't have enough kick ass female MC in YA literature. Aside form Rose from Vampire Academy, no one else comes to mind. Why am I bringing this up? Because Britt was FAR from kick ass. In fact, she would have to take a plane and fly across the globe to Australia to get close to being kick ass.
    She had her mind set on climbing a mountain and even when there was a freakishly huge storm going on, she decided go on out anyway!
    And seriously, you're trap with two men (keep that in mind, men, not teenage boys) who are criminals capable of killing you and all you worry about is if you got a chance with one of your captor?  Four days are hardly enough to develop stockholm syndrome, and even if it was, Brit did not have it. What she did have were crazy, raging teenage hormones and a serious lack of brain! But hey! Everything's fine because one of the men is really dreamy!

“There was something about almost dying that made me desperate to feel alive - and Jude’s touch was the only thing that made me feel alive right now.”  Really? Ok, keep telling yourself that...

“I tapped my cup to his, grateful to have found Shaun, because for a minute there, I'd thought I was going to have to save myself. Instead, I'd wandered into the protective care of a sexy older man.What was I saying? FAR from being kick ass.


  • Korbie: What a b**ch. 
    My definition of a best friend (taken from Urban dictonnary): 
    Best Friends are very special people in your life. They are the first people you think about when you make plans. They are the first people you go to when you need someone to talk to. You will phone them up just to talk about nothing, or the most important things in your life. When you’re sad they will try their hardest to cheer you up. They give the best hugs in the world! They are the shoulder to cry on, because you know that they truly care about you. In most cases they would take a bullet for you, coz it would be too painful to watch you get hurt. 
    Korbie's definition: The prettiest and most important friend brings the other one down. Also, she only cares for herself and will call dibs first on any attractive guy she meets, because she is clealry better than the other person taking part in this best friend relationship.
    Let's just say I was happy she was left behind because at least, I didn't have to read any more scenes with her in it!
“She was turnig this into a competition, like always. I would never tell Korbie, but last summer, during a sleepover, I had peeked in her diary. [...] Imagine my surprise when I found two side-by-side lists comparing Korbie and me” What a great demonstration of friendship people!

  • Jude: He was just there, being all dark and mysterious and all. Alone, he was allright. But the story was so ridiculous that he became ridicoulous too.

Now the plot... The ending was predictable, the situations the characters found themselves in were absurd and it was just bad all around.  I can't even summarize this book for you guys; I blocked everything after I (finally) closed it. What I can tell you is that the synopsis makes the story looks a gazillion time better than it is.


This was more a rant than a review, and disliking a book like this is rare for me. But Black Ice? It brings out the worst in me. Sorry Becca Fitzpatrick, you wrote good books, but this ain't one of them.

Sophie