This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

When I First Saw You #03

December 24, 2015



What is When I First Saw You? 

When I First Saw You, or WIFSY for short, is a new feature here on Sailing Through Books that consist of writing a synopsis for a book I've never heard of. I will pick a new release and with the cover and the title, come up with a resume to go on the back cover!


You can participate too!

Every Monday, I will be posting the cover for the following week on my Twitter account. If that cover speaks to you, you are more than welcome to write your own made up synopsis and compare it with the actual resume of the book in question.
Since this is an original idea, I ask, please pretty please with the cherry on top, that you link your post back to Sailing Through Books,
And of course! Please do share your post with me! I would be so happy to read the synopsis you came up with!


This week's pick is REBEL OF THE SANDS, by the lovely ALWYN HAMILTON
DISCLAIMER: I DID NOT WRITE THIS BOOK, I'M SIMPLY SHARING MY FIRST IMPRESSIONS BY CREATING A MADE-UP SYNOPSIS

My made-up synopsis:

A long time ago, a war broke out over a dispute concerning the use of a sand glass said to have magical abilities. The guardians of the glass retreated to the desert and were never seen again. Some people took control and declared themselves royalty, ruling the city with an iron fist. A step out of line could get you killed and the citizen were living in constant fear.
Legend says that the guardians took the sand glass to a safe haven where they could wait for their time to return and unleash the power of the glass.
That time has come.

Fifteen year old Sami never thought something like this would happen to him, but it did: he got captured by the royal guards after trying to steal an apple. What a disaster! Now, no one was going to be able to take care of his little brothers! 
Sami thought he was doomed to a slow death in prison, until someone helps him escaped from prison only to bring him far-out in the desert.

Sami thought he would go back to his old life, but his new one was only beginning. He was about to become part of something so incredible it was thought to be a bedtime story.
He was about to become a guardian.

And now the real synopsis

She’s more gunpowder than girl—and the fate of the desert lies in her hands.

Mortals rule the desert nation of Miraji, but mystical beasts still roam the wild and barren wastes, and rumor has it that somewhere, djinni still practice their magic. But there's nothing mystical or magical about Dustwalk, the dead-end town that Amani can't wait to escape from. 

Destined to wind up "wed or dead," Amani’s counting on her sharpshooting skills to get her out of Dustwalk. When she meets Jin, a mysterious and devastatingly handsome foreigner, in a shooting contest, she figures he’s the perfect escape route. But in all her years spent dreaming of leaving home, she never imagined she'd gallop away on a mythical horse, fleeing the murderous Sultan's army, with a fugitive who's wanted for treason. And she'd never have predicted she'd fall in love with him...or that he'd help her unlock the powerful truth of who she really is.


***

Oh. My. God! This book sounds A-MAZING! I want it. NOW! Love the first sentence of the synopsis: "she's more gunpowder than girl"! Aman sound so SO bad ass! 
Now to compare both synopsis: mine was surprisingly not that far-off! I mean, the details are completely different, but some things are similar: the magical things outside the city (guardians VS djinni), the MC is something he/she wasn't expecting (Sami becomes a guardian VS Amani discovering the truth about herself, which I think is something magical too).
I think this is my closest synopsis so far!
All in all, Alwyn's story sound so much more interesting than my fake one and I'm definitely looking forward to her book's release! 


What was your first impressions of Rebel of Sands? 


As today is December 24, I just wanted to wish you guys a Merry Christmas (if you celebrate)! I haven't been posting this week and might not post an awful lot next week either, but that's because I'm on school break right now and find it surprisingly more difficult to blog; go figure! 
Also! Remember the semi-schedule I talked about in my November Wrap-up post? Yeah, you can forget about it. WIFSY remains on Thursdays, but other than that, from now on I'll just post whenever I feel like it!

Take care guys and make sure to eat a lot of mashed potatoes tonight!

Sophie