This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

Interview with Jenn P. Nguyen, author of The Way to Game the Walk of Shame - SST -

June 12, 2016


The Sunday Street Team acts as a street team for authors who do not have one. Every month, new authors are chosen and bloggers join their team to help promote their book. For more information, visit Nori's blog!


Hello cupcakes! 
I was lucky to get a spot on the June Sunday Street Team which means that I have the lovely author of THE WAY TO GAME THE WALK OF SHAME, , with me on the blog today for an interview! 



Title: The way to game the walk of shame
Author: Jenn P. Nguyen
Publisher: Macmillan/Swoon Reads
Release date: June 7th 2016
Add it on Goodreads!

Taylor Simmons is screwed.

Things were hard enough when her single-minded dedication to her studies earned her the reputation of being an Ice Queen, but after getting drunk at a party and waking up next to bad boy surfer Evan McKinley, the entire school seems intent on tearing Taylor down with mockery and gossip.

Desperate to salvage her reputation, Taylor persuades Evan to pretend they’re in a serious romantic relationship. After all, it’s better to be the girl who tames the wild surfer than just another notch on his surfboard.




Let's get to it, shall we?

As debut authors, was this your first serious attempt at writing a book?
Not even close. THE WAY TO GAME THE WALK OF SHAME was actually my fifth book that I wrote. I spent a lot of time testing out other genres before realizing that my voice and style suited YA contemporary romances. And I love writing them. But maybe someday I’ll venture out again and try something new.


Do you have a favorite quote?
Do what you love and the necessary resources will follow. That actually came from a fortune cookie when I was considering on taking a break or even quitting writing. :) I guess you can say that it came at the perfect time. I still have the fortune in a frame!
Thank god for that fortune cookie!


Did you face any challenges when writing The Way to Game the Walk of Shame?
I can’t really think of any specific challenges that I had writing this book. I did go through many many drafts. The first was a bit edgier, but with each new draft it became a little more light and fluffy. Which actually was perfect because I think a part of me originally made it edgy because I thought that was what people wanted. But in the end, it became more fun and light with some heartfelt moments that speak to you. And this is exactly how I wanted it to be.  


Your MC is described as an "Ice Queen"; were you an "Ice Queen" in high school? How did you deal with it? If not, what do you suggest to people like Taylor to do?
I wasn’t exactly an ‘Ice Queen’ in high school. I was better known as the quiet nice girl in school. And a bit of a goody goody. Although I was a good student, I was nowhere near as brilliant and hardworking as Taylor. To all the people like Taylor out in the world, I wish I could hug you. You’re amazing for being who you are and standing up for what you want in life. Not everyone is as brave or strong as you. I definitely wasn’t. On that note, also remember to enjoy yourself when you can because you only have one life. Live it to the fullest. Don’t let expectations rule you.
This is some pretty great advice! You hear that, cupcakes? Take notes! You are amazing, don't forget it!


Taylor's problem seem to start because of a night of drunken fun. Many YA authors also casually include underage drinking in their book. What's your stand on teenage drinking?
Well, I’m not going to stand here and preach that teens should never drink because if they want to, then they’d find a way to do it. No matter what. And it can be fun. Although I was pretty tame as a teen, I didn’t do everything I was supposed to. But I do think that if you’re drinking, then it should be done in moderation and you should be smart about it. Obviously, Taylor wasn’t being very smart that night. She is not a good example, but her bad decision makes a good story. :) Ultimately, I think you should know what you can handle. Be around people you trust. Your age doesn’t specify how mature you are. Your decisions do.
Very well said!


Alright, final question: why should people read your book?
I think people should read my book if they want to read a fun YA romance. To be honest, it could have been a lot darker and edgier, but sometimes I feel like you need a lighter book to balance out the hardships of life. Something to just take you away for a while. It has humor and romance with a dash of real life problems. And I hope it brings a smile to your face when you’re done.

***

Thank you so much Jenn for taking the time to answer my questions! THE WAY TO GAME THE WALK OF SHAME is now available for you to purchase and enjoy, so be sure to grab your copy! With a sweet author like this and a kick-ass synopsis, it cannot be anything but awesome!

Take care lovelies!

Sophie