This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

Go ask Alice, by Anonymous -review-

June 15, 2016

This is a difficult review to write for me because I still haven't decided if I enjoyed the book or not.



Title: Go ask Alice
Author: Anonymous
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Release date: 1971
Add it on Goodreads
Synopsis:

January 24th

After you've had it, there isn't even life without drugs....

It started when she was served a soft drink laced with LSD in a dangerous party game. Within months, she was hooked, trapped in a downward spiral that took her from her comfortable home and loving family to the mean streets of an unforgiving city. It was a journey that would rob her of her innocence, her youth -- and ultimately her life.




*edit from the future: this diary might not actually be all true, but there is still a lot of mystery surrounding it so for the sake of this review, I chose to believe it is real

I loved this book for its honesty.
Drugs have always been around and kids take them more often that we imagine, there's no denying it. But this book is a hundred times more effective at warning people not to take them than the teacher who tells you that drugs are bad in health class.

Go ask Alice is a real journal of a fifteen year old girl who got addicted to drugs. Through the pages of her diary, she shares everything without any sugarcoating. By that I mean how she first got into it, how she ran away from home, how she got abused, and more. I was baffled by what this girl went through. I had no idea it could be so bad for someone so young, and yet, it can be.

This review is hard because I can't really comment on the writing style or the characters as this is a real diary and they are real people. So I'm left talking about how it made me feel. 

As I previously said, I loved this book for its honesty, but I also disliked it for the story it was telling.
I'm the type of person who gets affected by movies, books and music. If I listen to a happy song, I'll be in a good mood. But if I listen to a more depressing movie, it'll affect how I feel. When I finished reading Go ask Alice, I had this feeling of despair. Maybe it's selfish or innocent of me to say , but I prefer to not be aware of the dark and sad things going on in the world because they take a toll on me and I beat myself up about not being able to help everyone.

In the end, despite my confusion regarding this book, it is definitely a must read for everyone. You may think you know things about drugs and the hardship life can bring, but trust me when I say you have no idea.

Sophie
3/5 stars