This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

When I First Saw You #30

November 11, 2016


When I First Saw You, WIFSY for short, is an original monthly feature here on Sailing Through Books that consists of writing a made-up synopsis for a book based on its cover and title only. Essentially judging a book by its cover, yes.


I'm slacking, I know. And I want to get back to blogging so badly! Problem is, I don't want to share with you guys some quick, shitty post simply for the sake of sharing something. I want to write good reviews, I want to write interesting discussion posts, and right now, I'm having trouble figuring out how to do that amidst everything else.

But today, although a day late I admit, is the second Thursday of the month, which means it's time for WIFSY!

Here were the choices this month, and I have to say I had a hard time picking a cover because they all look so interesting!




Title: Girls in the moon
Author: Janet McNally
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release date: November 29th 2016


My made-up synopsis

Humans like to think they are "oh so important"! That they are the most intelligent people in the universe, that they are the only ones in the universe for that matter. They think they were the first to land on the moon and because they were so caught up in their little accomplishment, they didn't even stop and think for one second that maybe, just maybe they weren't alone.

It's rather funny actually. Because we were there. My sisters and I. And we saw everything.

Neil Armstrong? He wasn't the first man to set foot on the moon: there was this classified expedition conducted by Australia a couple of years before that no one ever knew about.
Also, he tripped getting out of the space shuttle.

Living on the moon has it perks, but it's getting quite lonely. That's why we're planning to come visit Earth. Soon. We just have to make sure we're not followed before we leave.

We want to make a good first impression, you know?

The real deal

Everyone in Phoebe Ferris’s life tells a different version of the truth. Her mother, Meg, ex–rock star and professional question evader, shares only the end of the story—the post-fame calm that Phoebe’s always known. Her sister, Luna, indie-rock darling of Brooklyn, preaches a stormy truth of her own making, selectively ignoring the facts she doesn’t like. And her father, Kieran, the cofounder of Meg’s beloved band, hasn’t said anything at all since he stopped calling three years ago.

But Phoebe, a budding poet in search of an identity to call her own, is tired of half-truths and vague explanations. When she visits Luna in New York, she’s determined to find out how she fits in to this family of storytellers, and to maybe even continue her own tale—the one with the musician boy she’s been secretly writing for months. Told in alternating chapters, Phoebe’s first adventure flows as the story of Meg and Kieran’s romance ebbs, leaving behind only a time-worn, precious pearl of truth about her family’s past—and leaving Phoebe to take a leap into her own unknown future.


Verdict

This part is usually for comparing my made-up synopsis to the real one, but let's get that out of the way quickly: I was way off as usual.

Now, for the part where I flip out over this wonderful sounding book!
Not sure I understand what it's about exactly, but for some weird reason, I feel connected to the story and I really want to read it. Secrets, romance that sounds cute instead of sickening and cheesy, family, identity... I want to be in this story, I want to get to know the characters... I feel like it has my name written on it that's all.

Next month's covers



In hopes that I'll be sharing some other posts before the next WIFSY...

Until next time lovelies!
Sophie