This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

I'll meet you home

September 27, 2016


Title: I'll Meet You There:
Author: Heather Demetrios
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co.
Release date: February 3rd 2015
Rating: 
Add it on Goodreads

Alright, let's skip the small talk. Long time no see, it's good to be back. Now, on to this beautiful book!


I've said this before, but I'm going to say it again: I'm not the type of reader who pays attention to the technical details. Writing style? What's that? All I care about are the feels! But there's one thing I couldn't help but admire in I'll Meet You There and that was the character development.

You know, this stood out to me because it's rarely done as well as it was in I'll Meet You There.
I'm not spoiling anything when I say that there's some romance in the book. If you truly thought there wasn't, well I'm sorry you couldn't figure it out by the synopsis!
Why am I bringing this up? Because I realized that most of the time, character development in contemporaries ends up being all about the love interest. The MC will "grow", but it seems that the only purpose of this is to allow a romantic relationship to form.

I'll Meet You There was a wonderful surprise that made me realize all of this because in this book, the characters grow on their own. We are witnesses to their personal and unique journey, not their journey to end up together.
Am I making any sense? Whatever, it does in my head.

I really appreciated the universe too.
It's been a month since I closed this book and thinking back on it now, I felt at home in it. The town, the motel, everything! Again, not something I often think about, but there it is.

Following on this point, the characters were very... "homey" too. I felt like I knew them personally, like we'd been friends since forever and like I was, somehow, a part of the book because of it.

Despite all its wonderful qualities, this book had one thing that really bugged me and that was the dialogue. 
Actually, let me take that back. The dialogues, for the most part, was fine. But a few times, I was reading and I actually cringed at some of the things the characters were saying because of how unnatural or unbelievable they were!

Conclusion: perfection was close, but not quite achieved. Nonetheless, a beautiful story that deserves to be read and shared and talked about!

Sophie




Heather Demetrios knows how to make you feel at home in her story. She does it so well that you won't want to leave.