This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

When I First Saw You #32

January 14, 2017

When I First Saw You, WIFSY for short, is an original monthly feature here on Sailing Through Books that consists of writing a made-up synopsis for a book based on its cover and title only. Essentially judging a book by its cover, yes.

Hi cupcakes!

How are you doing on this fine Saturday? I know, I know, once again I'm late for WIFSY and I have no valid excuse beside the fact that I waited to the last minute to write this post. Hopefully, you'll find in your heart to forgive me and we can move on to the post. Yeah? Alright!



Title: The inexplicable logic of my life
Author: Benjamin Alire Saenz
Publisher: Clarion Books
Release date: March 7th 2017
Add it on Goodreads!

My made-up synopsis

When I was younger, my parents really wanted me to go to this elite school for gifted youngsters. Kind of like the X-Men yes, but without the powers and way less cool. So, as any ambitious parents would do, they made me take the entry test. I, as any kid who didn't want any special treatment, decided to fake my results. Problem is, faking my score didn't make me appear a little slow, it made me look like a total genius.
Ever since that day, every time I tried to sabotage something for myself, I got the complete opposite.
Todd, the guy who I tried to avoid freshman year? He fell in love with me.
That job at the local summer camp I never applied for? They hired me anyway.
That time I stepped over the ledge of the bridge, looking down at the water, ready to jump? I ended up saving someone else's life instead.
I can't seem to do anything wrong and right now, I could use something bad. The logic behind swimming seems to have escaped my mind because right now, it feels like I'm drowning.

The real synopsis


Sal used to know his place with his adoptive gay father, their loving Mexican-American family, and his best friend, Samantha. But it’s senior year, and suddenly Sal is throwing punches, questioning everything, and realizing he no longer knows himself. If Sal’s not who he thought he was, who is he?


Verdict

Hum... We don't have much to work with here. From what I gather, my synopsis is nothing like the real one, but what's new, am I right?
The original one, although short, is real interesting! For my part, I've never read or heard of a book with gay parents, which I find refreshing! Brownie points for diversity mister Saenz! Also, while we don't have much information about the story, I'm always a sucker for story where the main character is in his or her last year of high school and they realize "who have I been these past few years? That's not me!", which seems to be the case here.
This book is definitely the kind I would read. And there you go, my to-read list just got longer...!

Next month's covers

February 9th

Take care lovelies!
Sophie