This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

To all the boys I've loved before, by Jenny Han -review-

December 8, 2015
To all the boys I've loved before review

This book is of the four I read during November and to be frank it was so good that I stayed up till 2am to finish it! I read other books by Jenny Han and I've always enjoyed myself quite a lot, this book being no different!


To all the boys I've loved before tells the story of Lara Jean, a sixteen year old girl who writes letters. To who? To all the boys she has ever loved. There are five letters in total, five letters that she keeps in a precious hat box given to her by her mother before she died. One day, her letters are sent out and Lara Jean has to deal with the consequences, positive and negative, brought up by her words.

The only reason this book doesn't get five star is because of the writing. Sometimes, Jenny Han's writing style just didn't agree with me, but that's the only negative thing I have to say about her book, so let's move on to the good stuff!

The main reason I love this book so much is because I could relate to it in a way that most reader probably can't.

- Before I explain this, I know some of my family is reading this and I would appreciate it if you could respect the fact that this is some more personal stuff. So either stop reading, or please, don't bring it up in a conversation. Thank you. -


In the story, Lara Jean wrote five love letters. One for each boy she has ever loved. In real life, I wrote fifteen letters. For this one boy. No, they were not all love letters.

The original idea behind this is quite silly now that I think about it. I started writing the letters for myself, to evacuate my feelings in a way that wouldn't hurt anyone. Then, I got this "brilliant" idea that I would give all of those letters to the boy in question at the end of our last year of high school, in a "look at all we've been through" kind of way. Because yes, we were friends, very good friends even.
Except that toward the end, it wasn't going so great anymore. One day, something happened and I decided: that's it, I've had enough.
So the next morning? I gathered all of my letters and gave them to him.

While Lara Jean got her happy ending with the guy that she wanted, I didn't. In fact, I never heard back from this boy.

So this is why I loved this book so much. Because I could live my happy ending through Lara Jean. And now I know, I'm only seventeen, I still got plenty of time for a happy ending and trust me, I'm not giving up any time soon! But with that guy in particular, I didn't get it and that's why I connected with Lara Jean so much.

Now, on a lighter note! I could see myself in Lara Jean for other reasons too. Her quirky personality, her style, her vision on life... Apart from the fact that she had Korean origins (yay for diversity!), she could literally have been me!

Her relationship with her sisters was so sweet! I could see myself in all three of them! And I think Jenny Han created a wonderful character in Lara Jean's father; even though I knew it was just a fictional story, I wanted to pat him on the back and tell him: "Great job man; you did one hell of a job raising those three girls and you did it brilliantly!"

And Peter! I could probably write an essay on why Peter is my new book boyfriend, but I'll just say: man...!

Since I don't really know how to wrap up this review, which was mostly me telling you the story of my life, here are some quotes that really struck a chord:

Life doesn't have to be so planned. just roll with it and let it happen.
Do you think there's a difference? Between belonging and belonging to? 


What about you? Have you ever written a love letter to someone?

Sophie