This Blog
This Blog
(0)
No Results

Growing up as a booklover

September 2, 2015
Hello everyone, today I want to share with you how being a bookworm affected my life in high school.
Why high school specifically? Because yesterday I started my last year of high school. Yup, that's right, I'm now a senior! Yay me!



Anyways, let's get deep here people.
Being a booklover was not always sunshine and butterfly. I'm lucky: I was never bullied or anything like that for my love of reading. But, I still had the label, I was still placed in a category with all the other people who had a passion considered as different.
Fortunately, my grade doesn't have the typical clique, which means that the Breakfast Club sadly couldn't exactly happen... But other than that, it's pretty cool actually. People hang out with whoever and that's the end of it.

Now, coming back to being a booklover. You should know that I'm good in school, which only added to the pre-made idea people had of me: the nice, nerdy girl who likes to read and write.
This led to me being very sckeptical: everytime someone talks to me, I'm never sure if it's beause they think I'm cool and enjoy talking to me or because they need my help for something. Don't get me wrong, I said in a previous post how much I love to help others, but sometimes, I can't help but feel like a freaking tool/dictionnary.

This is what really sucks about labels, people look at them and think they know who you are, but they don't.
Thet don't know that I love to dance like crazy when I'm alone. 
They don't know that I want to go study abroad. 
They don't that I love cats. 
They don't know that I watch as much Netflix as them. 
They don't know I enjoy watching hockey.
They don't know I'm a total girly-girl who like makeup, hair and fashion.
They don't know if I like the same music as them.
They don't know that I own this blog.
They don't know that there is more to me than books and good grades.

The downside of being a book lover was really that; it added to the image people had of me and gave me a label.



But there was also a positive side.
I got to know all those other people who were in that other category. I got to meet wonderful friends who shared my interst for literature.

Another plus of being a booklover is that it help me in school.
Reading gives you a great vocabulary and a great structure when you write; or it did for me anyways. I always found it easier to write essays and short stories, or just to answer simple test question because I knew how to arrange my ideas.

Also, since I go to a French school, I do have a French class and an English class.
Now, I am not saying that it is harder for me than someone going to an English school, but in French schools, the English class is the equivalent of the one on the English side. I was horrible in English when I was younger, but reading helped me a lot and look at me now: I have a freaking blog written completely in English!
Ok, that was way too many French and English, sorry guys.

All in all, I guessed it's the same for every passion seen by society as being different or unusual.
In the end, you just have to say:
To hell with them, I'm doing what I love!

Sophie